Use the principles and tools of service design to rethink the journey your customers take and transform your customer experience, delivered live online.
- Course fee: £1,200
- May 2023 FULLY BOOKED
4 sessions over 2 weeks
Week 1: Thursday 20 – Friday 21 July 2023
Week 2: Monday 24 – Tuesday 25 July 2023
9am – 12.30pm BST per session
Services represent around 80 per cent of the economy. Service design applies human-centred design principles to make services that are sustainable and desirable for changing consumer needs. It delivers better customer experiences, successful innovation and business value. It can be applied to and transform services in all sectors ranging from retail and banking to transportation, health and education.
The Royal College of Art is a global pioneer in the teaching of MA-level service design and has successfully trained a new generation of practitioners who are delivering transformational ideas across business and government. Graduates have gone on to work for firms that include IDEO, Fjord, Engine, EY-Seren, Public Health England, Government Digital Services, Jaguar Land Rover, McKinsey.
In an age where product-based value is insufficient to satisfy customers, service design is a powerful discipline. This introductory executive masterclass will teach you the theory of service design and how to apply practical tools for effective service design.
The course is developed and led by Professor Clive Grinyer, Head of the Service Design MA.
About the course
Module 1: Introduction to Service Design and its impact
- Introduction to service design with examples of the impact of innovative services.
- Overview of service design methodology and approach.
- On-line service design tools – white boards, digital post-its and social media.
Module 2: Discovery
- Setting a challenge – define a challenge and opportunity to bring service design to life.
- Who are you designing for? Customers, employees and stakeholders.
- Gaining user insight – human-centred research methods, service safaris, jobs to be done, and other experiential research methods.
- Customer journey mapping – understanding end-to-end experiences and the systems that create them, using ‘design thinking’ methodology and the double diamond framework.
- Analysis of pain points – frame the brief.
Module 3: Definition and Design
- Learn creative design techniques – co-creation, brainstorming and concept creation
- Visualising concepts and rapid prototyping – bringing concepts to life, storyboarding, sketching, role play and mock ups to visualise ideas and be ready to test with ourselves and end users.
Module 4: Concept Delivery and Measuring Success
- Service blue-printing and delivering change across your organisation
- Experimentation, prototyping and piloting for deployment
- System thinking and cultural change
- Presentation of design concepts, delivery plan and metrics for success.
At the heart of our Service Design Masterclass is the opportunity to apply service design thinking to the challenges and opportunities of people taking part in the course. We want the learning to be as relevant as possible so that you can take inspiration and practical tools back to your workplace and share with your colleagues. To do this we invite each participant to consider an opportunity and a challenge in their organisation that they would be willing to share with a team of people to solve. The course team then develop a set of group challenge briefs that capture the shared issues and topics for teams to work on, with the chance to refine the brief with your team at the start of the course.
Previous challenge briefs have covered themes such as: sustainability, net zero, travel, the future of work, retail and the high street, transport experience and ageing.
Disclaimer: The information given is accurate at the time of publication, however, the RCA reserves the right to amend the described course as circumstances dictate.
Personal and organisational benefits
The benefits to you and your organisation include:
- access to global best practice in service design
- learn empathic understanding of users/customers
- return to your organisation with new techniques and strategies to put into practice
- experience critical, creative and insightful thinking
- interact and network with peers from different backgrounds and functions
- a certificate of online attendance.
What will you learn?
You will learn:
- how to apply service design methodology and frameworks to create better customer experiences
- real world applications of service design and how it is transforming organisations
- creative design techniques.
How will you learn?
This interactive online course is divided into four sessions taken over a two-week period.
Learning will take place in sessions of three-and-a-half hours each.
You will learn through live lectures, interactive workshops and homework.
Participants are expected to work in small groups.
The course is organised in synchronous sessions in a live virtual environment that combines various digital platforms and tools.
Using the videoconferencing service Zoom, the RCA's esteemed academics and facilitators deliver a mix of:
- live lectures
- case studies
- guided assessments
Participants interact with the faculty and peers in breakout rooms in real time.
Participants engage in cross-functional team work with the use of visual collaboration tools.
Through the online whiteboard platform Miro, participants get to:
- interact with various formats and templates
- plan and brainstorm ideas
- create processes and workshop activities in the digital workspace.
The College's learning platform Moodle is personalised according to the course's requirements to provide participants with a secure integrated system where they can access the course content.
The hub hosts a range of useful resources to enable the learning experience, including comprehensive timetables, pre-reading materials, course slides, curated videos, tutorials and session recordings.
Participants stay connected and communicate via the channel-based messaging platform Slack throughout the whole duration of the course.
In this space, the academics, facilitators and delegates get to network, plan the course activities, share documents and files during the live sessions or offline.
Who should attend?
Anyone interested in transforming their organisation through the application of service design, including:
- service delivery teams wanting to improve customer experience
- private and public sector executives and senior managers wanting to reframe and solve their issues and deliver opportunities
- designers wanting to be more strategic and learn new tools
- entrepreneurs who want to deliver their ideas
- innovation teams who want to deliver effective innovation
- customer experience and service commissioners wanting to deliver better services.
It would be helpful to:
- have a basic understanding of human-centred design principles and design thinking
- be comfortable with new digital tools.
“Best course ever, very engaging, interactive, and chance to collaborate with industry leading SME resolving real world issues using service design. Would highly recommend the course to anyone who wants to gain insight on how to use the principle and tools of service design to rethink, transform or redefine their business or customer experience.”Online Service Design Masterclass participant May 2022
“This a a brilliant course, practical, stimulating and remarkable in its breadth of vision combined with forensic work on detailed design using visual tools. Highly recommended for anyone working in the area of transformational change, whether or not they are a service designer.”Online Service Design Masterclass participant July 2022
“The best training course I have done - it will make a real, practical difference to the way that I work.”Online Service Design Masterclass participant 2021
“I enjoyed interacting with a wide variety of people united by a desire to make things better for customers.”Online Service Design Masterclass participant 2021
“This course gave me tools that will help me better organise my ideas and provide sharp solutions always having the user as the most important element.”Online Service Design Masterclass participant 2022
“Service Design is transforming organisations across the globe. The RCA is at the centre of a new generation of user-centred, system-smart and delivery-focused talent. This is an opportunity to understand how to apply service design thinking into the heart of your organisation.”Head of Programme, Service Design MA
Get in touch with Jo Chounta if you'd like to find out more about this or any of our other short courses.